"Sailed not as a seaman, but as a traveler..."

"Sailed not as a seaman, but as a traveler..."- Sir Thomas More's Utopia

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Singapore eats. A lot.


Image: Food Center in Singapore's Chinatown.

This was my first meal in Singapore:

  • Otah - Think of it as a sort of Halal Tamale. It's usually filled with seafood like fish and shrimp mixed in with coconut milk and steamed in a banana leaf. They also mix in things such as chillies, fish paste, lemon grass. This should really come stateside. For more info on the "Asian Tamale," here's a Wiki article on Otah.
  • Blended Coffee with soy milk - Yeah, nothing too exciting there, but cut me some slack, I couldn't even pronounce the names of the rest of the weird shit I was eating.
  • Popiah - Very Taiwanese. It's like a fried spring roll but sweeter with a hint of spice. I think there was yam in the ones we had. Another difference from spring rolls, is that not just the wrapping is crispy, but there's also some crisp to the fillings of the popiah, at least the ones we tried. Apparently, people have Popiah Parties, where people bring their favorite ingredients for popiahs. I'm sure they wash it all down with Whiskey Green Tea. How very Asian.
  • Grass Jelly over sweet tofu with a sprinkling of some sort of sweet fruit thing - Can someone please tell me what those little white balls are? They look like macapuno but I don't think they are. When I ordered my blended coffee, the Chinese woman at the stall yelled something at me. I didn't know what was going on, and in fear of offending her I did an awkward little bow. After a bit, she handed me the coffee and the grass jelly concoction. What the hell?

No comments:

Post a Comment